Thursday, February 28, 2013

lego travel box

we had already been using these boxes for legos while traveling or keeping Ji busy at restaurants (or other places that involved waiting), but usually the lego creations were all over the place, so i came up with this lego board insert to help contain the legos in or near the container :) and for more fun!

the board was originally intended to attach 3d creations, but as soon as i had it flipped open, i realized it would be great for 2d also - letters/shapes, pictures, designs, games, etc!
 


what you need:
- lego board
- xacto or utility knife
- cutting mat of some sort
- metal ruler/cutting edge
 
 
tips:
- before you start cutting, make a layout so you can make the maximum amount lego board inserts!
- it's best to cut the bottom side....it's easier to cut through holes than over bumps ;)
- the more precise you cut the boards the better the fit! ...it's up to you if you want to glue the board onto the lid or not...if the kids get used to holding the board while taking the legos off, you don't need the glue - this way you can have it as a detachable board as well, but for smaller children it might be better to glue it on...
- the board is hard, so be really carefull while cutting! 
- after cutting the length and witdth, don't forget to cut the corners
- after finished, try it out yourself!.....i did ;)
 
 

19 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Wouldn't it maybe make sense to attach some velcro stickers to the box and the board so that the Lego board is removable? Thanks again for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure! our no-glue option is working well, but this is a good idea also! :) only, i don’t have many good experiences with our czech adhesive velcro...if the velcro works well, the adhesive usually doesn’t after a few pulls – i would have to superglue the velcro on, but that’s also an option :)

      Delete
  2. At first I thought it was an old baby wipes container. I'm thinking that would be good too. (Instead of buying something new...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. IKEA is expensive if you don't live in Europe or near a store in America. It would be nice to have a different option. Very clever idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! I already had several of these Ikea containers on hand waiting for a use. I just threw in a board that we had that fit so I didn't have to cut down our big 12x12 board. We've going to dinner tonight with the grandparents and our Lego box is making it's maiden voyage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A plastic school box or card file box might work as well. I think I would glue the board on the outside top in order for the hinges of the box NOT to weaken:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd probably go with the glued option. It's a stimulating tool, which I can even find pleasure in using myself. XD. I want it to keep my child preoccupied during travels and whenever I'm busy. I'm afraid he might end up entertained by inserting the board and forth instead of the lego blocks! Shannon@ASI

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. (Sorry - commented on the wrong post!)

    I'm doing a round-up of ideas to reuse wipe containers on Disney Baby and wondered if I could include you. I'll use 1-2 photos with credit and a link back to your post. Would that be okay?

    Thanks!
    Janssen

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic idea! I will make such box for my son! Thanks for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What type of glue do you think? Super glue? I might share this on my blog...and site your blog address of course...is that cool?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete